How Dangerous Are Scorpions In Oklahoma City, OK?
June 30, 2021
Scorpions have a reputation as being incredibly dangerous thanks to their ability to sting with their tails. While stings are never pleasant, that doesn't necessarily mean scorpions are as dangerous as feared.
There are over 90 species of scorpion in the United States, but the most common one found in Oklahoma is the bark scorpion. This scorpion has a more slender body than its cousins with a thinner tail and pincers. They are further recognized by their average length of about three inches and are tan in color.
Are They Dangerous
In truth, yes the bark scorpion is dangerous to humans. It is the only one in the country that has venom potentially deadly enough to kill a human. However, their sting is rarely fatal. The likelihood of fatality depends on the number of factors, which include but isn't limited to:
- Scorpion Age: The age of the scorpion is important when considering the dangers. Immature scorpions can't control the amount of venom they release, which means they can inject a lot more than is needed. In contrast, adult scorpions can control the amount of venom they use, which means they tend to use less venom.
- Allergies: In some cases, people can experience an allergic reaction to a scorpion sting, which makes the fallout from the sting more severe.
- Human Age: Babies and the elderly are at greater risk than children, teens, and adults. This is because both of them are naturally weaker and have a less capable immune response by default.
Regardless of the potential for fatality, scorpion stings are never pleasant to experience, which is why they're best avoided. The intensity of the sting can range from the equivalent of a bee sting to something much more painful. Most people experience symptoms after a sting from a bark scorpion that includes tingling sensation, numbness, and pain in the impacted area. Some other possible symptoms include convulsions, vomiting, and nausea.
Scorpion Prevention Tips
Since there is a risk of complications from a scorpion sting, it's always a good idea to leave scorpion control to trained professionals. However, prevention is something everyone can do. Some prevention tips to follow include:
- Eliminate Standing Water: Scorpions are attracted to water sources, which is why it's important to remove all sources from puddles near the home to an open toilet. This also is a deterrent for other pests.
- Entry Point Control: Scorpions get in through cracks and crevices around doors and windows. Seal these entry points up, making this one less way for them to get inside.
- Inspect The Dark: Scorpions like dark places, including cabinets and closets. Check these areas regularly to prevent an infestation from developing.
- Control Woodpiles: Besides woodpiles, it's important to clear away brush and debris. Make sure to store firewood at least 30 feet away from the perimeter of your home.
No Scorpions With Dandi Guaranty
Effective scorpion control requires quality, attention to detail, and a willingness to understand your needs and concerns. Our team at Dandi Guaranty not only understands that, but we have made it our mission to deliver on all counts. We accomplish our mission thanks to our approach of inspection and treatment, which is as follows:
- Inspection: We inspect in and around your home to identify exactly what pest has invaded and where they're residing.
- Treatment: Once the inspection is complete, we begin initial treatment to get you started on a pest-free home.
Do you suspect a scorpion problem? Then give our team at Dandi Guaranty a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional home pest control services or fill out our online form to schedule your free quote.