Tulsa's Ultimate Ant Prevention Guide
March 31, 2020
Have you ever dreamed of starting your own restaurant? Well, with ants around, it can feel like you have. The only differences between ant customers and human customers would be: ants don't pay for their meals, or tip, or do anything that benefits you, at all. If you think about it, it would probably be best (if you did start a restaurant) that you shouldn't invite ants. In fact, you shouldn’t tolerate them in your home either. To keep ants out of your kitchen, here is our ultimate guide to ant prevention.
Different Types Of Ants In OK
Oklahoma has one of the widest varieties of ant species here in America. We have red ants, Formica ants, little black ants, pharaoh ants, carpenter ants, pavement ants, odorous house ants, big-headed ants, and many more. The good news is that not all ant species are looking for ways to get into your home. The bad news is that enough of them are to be problematic. The most common home-invading ants are little black ants, carpenter ants, and odorous house ants.
Problems Ants Cause
Ants are quite unique in that one species might only be a nuisance while another is capable of literally destroying your home from the inside out. If you are dealing with little black ants in your home, the worst problem you could face would be from the bacteria they can spread on their feet. Other species of ants, like odorous house ants are extra annoying due to the foul odor they can emit when threatened or crushed. Then there are carpenter ants. These tunneling insects are known for building their nests deep into the wooden structure of homes. Given enough time, these pests can severely damage homes to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars.
What Attracts Ants To Homes And How To Keep Them Away
Most ants are attracted to your home by the food it offers them, others invade because of moisture problems. To keep different species of ants out of your Tulsa home, here are some prevention tips we recommend.
- Address moisture issues around your home by fixing leaky pipes, repairing broken gutters, eliminating standing water sources, and installing dehumidifiers as needed.
- Seal cracks and gaps in your home’s exterior foundation, using a caulking gun.
- Make sure all of your exterior doors are equipped with door sweeps.
- Repair or replace broken door/window screens.
- Keep your lawn and landscaping well maintained.
- Trim back bushes and trees from your home’s exterior so that sunlight can shine on its foundation.
- Clean inside regularly and thoroughly, making sure not to neglect under large appliances.
- Store leftover food inside airtight containers.
- Clean out pet food and water bowls each night before going to bed.
- Repair or replace structural wood around your home that has been negatively affected by water damage, rot, or decay.
A Better Way To Keep Ants Away
Keeping ants out of your Tulsa home without help is not an easy task. With help, however, keeping your home ant-free can be simple and stress-free. At Dandi Guaranty, we work hard to make sure our clients’ homes get only the best protection from annoying, dangerous, and destructive pests like ants.
If you are ready to find out what top-of-the-line ant control services could look like for your Tulsa home, give us a call today. We would be happy to talk you through your options to find the right solution to meet your needs.