Identifying Tulsa Termites & Their Damage
February 7, 2020
Termites can be one of the worst types of pests to encounter in your home or business as they are extremely destructive. While any kind of pest, from rodents to spiders to ants, can be frustrating, some pests are more of a problem than others. Termites are one of the worst because they can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your property before you even realize you have an infestation. Because they are hard to identify, they can be an undetected problem until the damage they’ve done is so bad it leaves you with a huge mess.
While it’s not easy to identify termites because they spend all of their time underground or inside wood, it’s still helpful to know what they look like. There is always a chance that you could see some of these insects if you are doing renovations or if you remove an old stump from the yard. If you know what to look for, it can help you identify an infestation more quickly.
While there are different kinds of termites in the Tulsa area, there are some general characteristics you can look for:
- Most termites are about ¼ to ½ an inch long.
- Their bodies are soft and they have straight antennae.
- They range in color from white to light brown depending on where they fall in termite society.
It’s important to note that the color of termites will vary depending on their role in the termite colony. The worker varieties are a lighter, white color while swarmer termites are a brown color. You’re most likely to encounter swarmer termites.
How Can You Tell If You Have Termites?
Knowing what termites look like can be useful in case you do happen to see these bugs in or around your home. However, there are other signs that are just as helpful for identifying if you’re dealing with an infestation.
These are some things you should look out for:
- Wood that sounds hollow or papery
- Drywall that is discolored
- Doors and windows that fit tightly and are hard to close
- Noises in the wall that sound like clicking
- Buckling or squeaking floorboards
- Peeling paint that appears to be water damaged
Tips For Keeping Termites Out
There are a few key things that attract termites to your home or business, so there are some preventive measures you can take to reduce the risk of infestation.
- First of all, termites obviously use wood as a source of food as well as a shelter. This means they might get inside your home through contact with your deck, firewood, mulch, and dead trees.
- The other main thing that attracts termites is moisture. Things such as standing water and even leaky pipes and poor drainage after rainfall can be appealing to these subterranean bugs.
- Third, termites can easily get inside through even the smallest openings. They often make their way into a building through soil contact with the foundation of the building.
Here are a few things you can do to protect your home:
- Remove wood that touches the foundation of the building.
- Remove things like dead trees and firewood from your property.
- Fix plumbing and other pipe or water drainage issues.
- Use dehumidifiers.
Professional Pest Control Is The Most Effective Termite Solution
While prevention methods that you do yourself can help, the most effective way to get rid of termites is to contact pest professionals. If you even just suspect you could have a termite issue, contact the professionals at Dandi Guaranty right away. Our trained technicians can get rid of the infestation before they do any more structural damage.