How Homes in the Greater-Tulsa Area Can Prepare for Termite Season
March 6, 2019
Termite swarming season is approaching again in the Greater-Tulsa area. This tends to signify the start of the termite season, as termite swarmers take off from their colonies in search of a mate and to start a new colony. Typically, swarming season happens in the late spring or early summer following a warm rain. As this season approaches, homeowners can prepare by taking prevention steps. It is also a great time to consider professional termite prevention plans.
Termite Season in Tulsa
Termites in an established colony in a warm area, like inside the walls of your home, can be active year-round. However, most people consider termite season to start in the spring with swarming season, and go through the late fall or early winter when the temperature drops. Termites outdoors tend to go dormant in the colder Oklahoma winters.
Prevention Steps for Homeowners
The best time to start taking prevention steps to keep your home safe from termites is now. Anything you can do to reduce your risk is worth the effort.
Some of the most common prevention steps are:
- Remove dead or decaying trees from your property.
- Get rid of any unnecessary wood, wood piles, construction debris, or old and unused buildings, like sheds.
- Keep your home dry around landscaping and its foundation, as well as basements and attics.
- Use finished, sealed wood in any construction, including decks.
- Inspect around the foundation of your home often for any signs of termites, such as discarded wings or mud tubes.
- Make repairs on your home to seal cracks, fix damaged screens, install door sweeps, and anything else you can do to keep pests out
Benefits of Professional Termite Protection
Even with taking prevention steps you can still be at risk for a termite infestation. Termite damage can cost thousands of dollars in repair, and is generally not covered by homeowner’s insurance. Having a professional termite protection plan in place is a small investment to make to keep your home protected, and to prevent the headache of termite damage.
At Dandi Guaranty, we use the Termidor HP injector system to protect Tulsa-area homes from termite infestations. This proven system helps deliver the exact amount of solution needed to keep termites out of your home with minimal disruption to your lawn and landscaping. There are no trenches needed, no digging, and no underground traps. This system injects the solution directly into the ground and creates a barrier to keep termites out and help destroy existing colonies. Our technicians are continually trained to help keep your Greater-Tulsa area home termite free.