Five Easy Ways To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Tulsa, OK Property
June 11, 2021
The words Tulsa, OK and mosquitoes are almost synonymous during the hot summer season. Between our dense annual rainfall and consistent bouts of heavy humidity, there’s no reason at all for these troublesome pests to leave the area. This, of course, means that pest control is left up to you alone.
Mosquito populations are extremely dense around shaded or leafy groves of vegetation. Despite their prevalence, these insects are not particularly fond of direct sunlight or the scorching heat that comes with it. Most species of mosquitoes are heavily active at dawn or the early evening, anytime after the bulk of the sun has dipped. This is why so many backyard picnics and barbecues seem to be swarming with biting, inconsiderate mosquito species from start to finish.
Diseases Associated With Mosquitoes
As pests that require human blood to reproduce, you might imagine that mosquito populations are wrought with various pathogens and parasites. Unfortunately, you would be correct. Since mosquitoes are not limited in the number of times they can bite a single person, nor are they impeded by any particular blood type or caliber, they can very quickly spread diseases from vector to vector. While it should be noted that mosquito-borne illnesses are not a guarantee with every bite, homeowners would be well to remember that every bite contains some element of risk. The most common types of risks associated with mosquito bites are:
- Yellow fever
- West Nile virus
Rarer and more serious forms of disease such as Zika virus and malaria are still possible in our area of the United States, although they are much less common. In either case, protection against mosquitoes will be one of your most important tasks this summer. Consider these helpful tips for your Tulsa home while planning your prevention efforts.
Your Yard Minus Mosquitoes – Five Ways To Get There
If you are truly serious about enacting some mosquito prevention measures around your property, you will need to start by protecting yourself first. Make sure that you are wearing loose-fitting and thicker style clothing with long sleeves and pant legs. If you are concerned that you will be working around a large group of mosquitoes, try tucking your pant legs into your socks. There is much to be said for self-protection! Once you’re properly outfitted and ready to go, attack your lawn with these five steps:
- Fill up any ditches or potholes that could be adding to your mosquito breeding problem.
- Reduce as many outdoor water sources as possible. Empty fountains, birdbaths, man-made ponds, and other items that should be cleaned. If this is not possible, consider adding larvicide to stagnant pools to mitigate mosquito spawn rates.
- Chop, cut, prune, and otherwise correctly manage the greenery on your property. Trees should be pruned away from the sides of the home, while bushes and grass should be kept to an agreeable height.
- Host your parties and outdoor gatherings in open spaces away from trees and bushes. Run a fan by seated guests to prevent nearby pests from landing and feeding.
- Enlist professional mosquito experts for one-time or regular pest control treatments.
Interested in getting started? Call the team at Dandi Guaranty for more help today.
We Get Mosquitoes Out – That's Our Dandi Guaranty
When the pests get going, Dandi Guaranty gets going faster. With years of experience fighting mosquitoes in the Tulsa, OK area, there’s no home or property we can’t effectively treat. Call us today at Dandi Guaranty to book a home appointment, or chat with us online to get the jump on mosquito infestations big and small.