11 Effective Cockroach Control Tips For Oklahoma City Property Owners
August 20, 2020
Have you ever watched a show where people have to do crazy things involving cockroaches to win money? We completely understand if this is the type of TV you avoid watching. Most people are disgusted by cockroaches, so it makes perfect sense that money is needed for people to willingly interact with them. If you are looking for a cheaper way to interact with cockroaches, ignore everything we are about to say. However, if you are looking to limit your exposure to dirty roaches, here are 11 effective control tips you can use around your Oklahoma City home.
Common Cockroaches Around Oklahoma City
There are three main species of cockroach here in Oklahoma City that have been known to invade and cause trouble around homes: German roaches, Oriental roaches, and American roaches. Of these three species, American are the largest, German are the most common, and Oriental -- well Oriental are the most shiny. Despite these distinctions and a slight difference in color and appearance, all three of these roaches are known for causing the same problems.
Problems Roaches Cause
Cockroaches are known for being extremely dangerous pests. The thing that makes them most dangerous is their ability to pick up, carry, and spread bacteria, human pathogens, and parasitic worms. 33 bacteria, 8 human pathogens, and 7 parasitic worms to be exact. This large number of sickness vectors make cockroaches one of the more dangerous pests you could have inside your home.
Cockroaches can also be destructive. Due to their strange eating habits, it is not uncommon for roaches to damage book bindings, fabrics, and other materials throughout the home. In addition to spreading sickness cockroaches can also trigger asthma attacks and allergic reactions with the fecal matter, skin, and urine they leave around homes. As cockroach infestations grow in size, this problem becomes more and more severe.
How You Can Keep Cockroaches Out Of Your Home
Cockroaches are not the easiest pest to prevent, but they are much more difficult to eliminate. To keep cockroaches from getting into your Oklahoma City home, here are 11 prevention tips top experts recommend:
1. Inspect your home’s exterior thoroughly for any gaps, cracks, or damage cockroaches could use to slip inside. Fill in smaller entry points using a caulking gun and have larger damages repaired.
2. Install fine metal screens over exterior vents and open utility piping leading into your home.
3. Make sure all of your home’s window and door screens are free of tears and rips.
4. If you have not already, invest in installing door sweeps under all exterior doors of your home.
5. Check your gutters and make sure they are in good working order.
6. Repair leaky pipes and fixtures in and around your home.
7. Use a dehumidifier around your home to keep humidity down.
8. Thoroughly clean your home regularly and make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
9. After every meal store leftover food inside airtight containers.
10. Repackage pet food into a larger airtight container.
11. Pick up and clean out your pet’s food and water bowls before heading to bed at night.
How To Get Rid Of A Cockroach Infestation
There is no easy way to eliminate a cockroach infestation on your own. There is, however, a trick to quick and effective cockroach control. All you have to do is get the Oklahoma City pest professionals here at Dandi Guaranty involved. We can send one of our highly trained pest technicians your way ASAP with a solution sure to solve your pest problems.
Give us a call today to talk to one of our friendly pest control representatives. They will help you find the absolute best pest control option for your Oklahoma City home.